Thursday, May 1, 2008

New sub-floor

Yesterday we got back to work on the floor. There was rot further back on the street side than I had first thought so I had to cut back all the way to the doorway.

I then vacuumed the entire area out with the shop-vac.

I was able to make a template for the curved area out of cardboard.

I filled the wells with foam insulation boards 2 to 3 deep and used Great Stuff foam to seal it all in:

Then I cut the new pieces of sub-floor one at a time and installed them. I'm using self-drilling screws to secure the edge camper shell frame to the wood. I will be using larger self drilling screws with large washers to secure the wood to the cross braces.



The screws that held the camper shell down to the wood were corroded and rusted in place so when I pulled the wood out the screws stayed. These had to be removed to put the new wood under the camper shell frame. I removed them with a sawzall and a dremel grinder:

More foam insulation:

Sub-floor in place:

Yet again more foam insulation:

Sub-floor complete:


Today I'll be moving on to the walls. I need to remove most of them to get at the wiring. Once reinstalled I will paint the walls then start laying the laminate.

2 comments:

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

So far looks just like what I went through on my 1972 model. One thing is that I didn't use the foam insulation on the floor or anywhere else since a contractor informed me it would turn to dust with the movement of the trailer going up and down the road over time and that ain't cool but goodluck just advice and info.