Sunday, May 18, 2008

Window repair, building the cabinets

A lot has been accomplished in the last few days. Most of the work has been in the kitchen area. On Thursday we cut the countertop for the sink and installed the backsplash:

And then installed the sink:

I had to use a Forstner bit on the underside of the counter for the faucet to fit as this countertop is thicker:


On Friday I finally installed a new window to replace the broken one. I was going to use a piece of acryllic temporarily until I could order a new window but after seeing how time consuming it was to take the frame out I decided to use a piece of Lexan and make it permanent. There are about 50 large rivets holding the frame in place.

Cutting the Lexan to fit was another challenge, I did this by laying the frame over the Lexan and curving the Lexan to shape, tracing around the inside of the frame then adding 1/4 inch all the way around.

Cutting the Lexan is very hard, it's not like acrylic where you can just score it with a razer and snap it, it has to be cut all the way through. I used a combination of a plastic cutting razer knife and my dremel with a cut-off wheel. The dremel died right as I was finishing the last cut.

Once the window was cut out the next issue was getting it into the frame. I think the Lexan I got was a little thicker than the original glass because it wasn't wanting to fit with the window molding in place. I finally was able to make it all fit though, in this picture the molding is still not completely pushed into place. I did that by using a dull chisel and soapy water:

It's a good thing I didn't try to use acrylic because it never would have survived installing it into the frame. Once the window was finished I reattached it to the Airstream with new rivets. I used Dicor caulk between the window and the camper for a water-tight seal:


Yesterday I worked in the kitchen area. I didn't like how the counter area by the fridge was turning out so I started over:

I'm gluing as well as nailing everything together:

This is my platform for the fridge, the front will be covered with a piece of Luann:

The area is now complete except for a few small trim pieces, a drawer front, and sanding/staining. Here are a few pictures with the appliances test fitted into place:



2 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow! A lot of work! The window looks great.

Larry said...

AWESOME!!!

One question though....

Where do you two get all the energy?!